Re: [PROPOSAL] GNOME Goal for 3.8: No more Python 2

On 07/03/2012 05:04 AM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 09:23 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 09:44:52AM -0400, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
>>> As per earlier discussions, I am proposing that we target GNOME 3.8 as
>>> our first all Python 3 release.
>>
>> Total lack of responses + 3.8 is far away: IMO ok.
>
> Most likely because people don't know what's required. What's the
> contingency plan? Will we be able to ship 2 version of Python, 2
> versions of the bindings and have old and new apps work as expected?
> What's needed for plugins?

Speaking as someone who did the Python 3 conversion for both Orca and
Accerciser (code review pending), what I learned in the process is that
there are many things which are both Python 2 and Python 3 compatible.
In fact, the bulk of the changes are because quite a bit got backported
into Python 2. Mind you, those things which did get backported are
definitely in Python 2.7, might or might not be in Python 2.6, probably
are not in 2.5....

Thus if everyone can start with the changes which are both Python 2.7
and Python 3 compatible, our contingency plan could be a minimum
required version of Python 2.7.

Take care.
--joanie