Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

Em Fri, 2012-01-27 às 09:45 -0500, Colin Walters escreveu:
> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 17:49 -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> > hi Bastien,
> >
> > On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 22:38 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > commit 27fa171efe4179c0a42ec79e0dc501077f042a08
> > > Author: Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
> > > Date:   Thu Jan 19 22:33:21 2012 +0000
> > >
> > >     datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism
> > >
> > >     Now that gnome-control-center uses systemd's date & time mechanism[1],
> > >     we don't need to ship our own mechanism for that purpose. This also
> > >     removes the last user of dbus-glib in gnome-settings-daemon [2].
>
> I think systemd is awesome; however, I think you (and others) are being
> a bit too cavalier about deleting code.
>
> While it's almost certainly true (looking at the git log) that you are
> one of the dominant recent contributors to gnome-settings-daemon, there
> are other people involved in GNOME who for one reason or another aren't
> going to use systemd, and it's a bit disrespectful to just delete the
> code.
>
> From their perspective, it is a regression - before, they could change
> the time.  After, they can't.  And in the picture, we need to clamp down
> on these kinds of regressions.
>
> That doesn't mean we can't ever take a step backwards - for sufficiently
> large steps forward.  But in this case we're just shuffling around where
> the code for setting time lives.
>
> So concretely - how about bringing back the old code and making it
> conditionally compile under a --enable-date-time-backend flag?  If you
> want, I can do a patch.

I've already explained how to make this work for the 3 distributions
affected[1].

Ubuntu has apparently taken steps to fix the problem, Debian can
probably use the same code, and OpenSUSE can use the RPM I made and
linked to earlier in the thread as a basis to fixing the problem.

You call me disrespectful and qualify my attitude as cavalier. It's
anything but. There are many ways to solve this problem, and plenty that
don't involve e-mails to me or reverting commits I made. I'd like those
to be contemplated.

And your patch doesn't work, as the timedated and old gsd mechanism's
API aren't the same.

[1]: I'll repeat once again that Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE and Fedora were
the only supported distros in the old mechanism.