Re: [gnome-settings-daemon] datetime: Remove datetime D-Bus mechanism

On Fri, 20.01.12 08:59, Ted Gould (ted gould cx) wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 12:37 +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > the dependency is not on systemd - it's on a DBus API. systemd provides
> > one implementation of that DBus API.
>
> I think that this would be more apparent if the DBus interface
> descriptions were maintained outside of the systemd codebase.

Yes, and they are.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/timedated
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/hostnamed
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/localed

That's the problem with you people: one tries to be nice to you, and
document it all in much detail outside of the codebase, keep the systemd
name out of all the interfaces, to make it really easy for you guys to
adopt this without having to touch this evil systemd stuff at all, but
you don't appreciate it, you just complain anyway that we'd mistreat you
and everything was just an evil plot against you.

You guys were in the loop, you guys even wrote alternate implementation
of this stuff already, you guys discussed it in detail at the last
UDS. And I was very nice to you by keeping the systemd name out of it and
documenting it on fdo, and Bastien even showed you how easy it is two
build the relevant systemd components without having to adopt systemd
all the way. So you have multiple ways out of your perceived problem!

So, what more do you want? There's nothing to complain about. Instead,
I'd very much appreciate a "thank you" though.

> It seems to me that this would be a good usage of Freedesktop.  I'd be
> happy to maintain such a repository if people would be willing to use
> it.

Yeah, it's a great use of fdo, and that's why I put it on fdo.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.