Re: Print Dialog / Improving "Print to file" option

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:38:15PM +0200, Lanoxx wrote:
> On 15/08/12 20:27, Javier Jardón wrote:
> >On 15 August 2012 23:08, Lanoxx <lanoxx gmx net> wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >Hello,
> >
> >>Then the filename says output.pdf which any sane person will probably want
> >>to change. So I have to type the file name and then also add .pdf again and
> >>finally I can click "Print".
> >FYI, There is a GnomeGoal proposed related to this [1]
> >
> >[1] https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/PrintToFile
> Thats a great goal, and should definitely be implemented. But still
> it does not solve the actual problem which I described. I also
> looked here:
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/modules/printbackends/file/gtkprintbackendfile.c
> but I can't find any GtkWidget being created, so I guess thats not it.

I agree with the idea of standardizing on a file browser window
for selecting the file and adding in the defaults in an editable way.
I very often save things to file with names like

	file1.pdf
	file2.pdf
	file2a.pdf
	file3.pdf

and so forth, so memory is useful. It would also be nice if I there
was some memory such that if you printed to file the last time, it
pops up the next time just as you left it. I do not know about
others but 'least surprise' for me is that things are always left
as I last used them.

It would also be useful to have a 'recently used' capability that
just puts you to the file name and printer of one of the last N
files you have printed. Useful if you forgot where you put something;
or in a large facility, which of multiple printers in several
buildings did you send that thing you printed before going out to
lunch; also useful if you want to go back and do a print to file
of the something under a similar name. Hell, you might even try
remembering the source URL as well as the destination printer or
file name.