Re: relative URLs for git submodules

Hello,

On 08/29/2012 11:27 AM, Frederic Peters wrote:
If not, could we decide to always use full URLs?

Three other suggestions:

1/ We could fix the gnome git servers to use the same urls for both git and git+ssh protocols. It'd mean to either stick an additional git/ component into the git:// url or removing it from the git+ssh:// one.

Once this is done, we could probably use //git.gnome.org/something.git as the url for submodules.

2/ We could use the git:// url everywhere, and gnome contributors could use the "inseadof" feature [1] to use git+ssh instead by adding this into his or her .gitconfig file:

[url "git+ssh://git.gnome.org/git"]
    insteadOf = "git://git.gnome.org"

This would be transparent to jhbuild users and pretty much everyone but the contributors who'd need to stick that into their own .gitconfig file.

3/ We could somehow standardize the "gnome:" prefix for gnome modules, and rely on insteadof as well..

[url "git+ssh://git.gnome.org/git"]
    insteadOf = "gnome:"

The idea is similar to bzr's "lp:" prefix. No idea if it can be standardized "upstream", if not then everyone will need to edit his or her own .gitconfig file.

BTW without thinking about submodules, it's nice to use that in your .gitconfig file if you're a regular contributor. `git gnome gnome:gedit` is just nice to type ;-)

[1] http://blog.mraw.org/2011/05/24/Git_tip_of_the_day_insteadOf/