Re: Videos from GUADEC/clarification about GNOME on tablets

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 22:57 -0700, Maciej Piechotka wrote:

> 1. Are there/will there be a videos from GUADEC?

Yes, hopefully.  The GUADEC team is working on this; I definitely saw
video cameras running in all the sessions.

> 2. While I understand that mobile is new 'shiny' so far I am sceptical
> of unified interfaces (and several other things from presentation like
> pre-installed GNOME on tablet). I will stop here as it would be
> pointless to complain a lot while admitting that one did not understood
> presentation. What would be GNOME approach to it[1]?

In the gnome-os BoF there was quite an extensive discussion about this.
The general consensus is that we'll concentrate on laptops, and fix
things for tablets/touch as needed, depending on when hackers get
relevant hardware (we may get the Foundation to help with this).

There was some discussion about which APIs we need to expose for apps to
be able to tweak their user interface for the appropriate form factor:
"do I have a keyboard?", "do I have a touchscreen?", "do I have a
mouse?", etc.  Gnome-settings-daemon has some heuristics to figure those
out right now, and it exposes them in an ad-hoc way to gnome-shell.  The
idea is to provide a real API for other apps to use as well.

  Federico