Re: Mirroring GNOME on github

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM, John Stowers
<john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:

> Maintainers are free to reject contributions if they are improperly
> made for the project. Having a github mirror does not take away their
> ability to do that (c.f. the Kernel model and forks on github).
> Similarly, not all projects have the code review policies of
> gnome-shell; I fear by thinking this is the case was we will cut of
> our nose to spite our face, as they say.
>
> Github is already a wild west of GNOME technology forks, and I believe
> having an official presence there would allow us to take advantage of
> those forks and to reduce fragmentation.
>
> Beyond making things less messy than they are now, Github has its own
> advantages too, as I mentioned (code search across all projects, etc).

I love GitHub, and I agree with its advantages, but I think that if we
don't make a coordinated effort to respect the GitHub community, it's
a big issue for us. As I said, in the best case scenario we move
infrastructure to GitHub entirely, and embrace it.

But giving already-overloaded maintainers more places to check for
code contributions is not really the best strategy, here.

Anyway, I'd be fine if we made an official mirror. I'd certainly
accept pull requests for the modules that I own. I just want to be
cautious here about our strategy here, though. It only takes one guy
with an ignored pull request and a Slashdot account to promote the
myth of the GNOME cabal.

--
  Jasper