Re: 3.6 Feature: Lock Screen

On 27/04/12 09:10, Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> If any, making the window owned by the compositor (or actually,
> overlaying it with no X interaction at all) is safer, because it's the
> WM that ultimately decides what is shown on screen, and thus is the
> only component that can guarantee that it stays on screen no matter
> what.

Actually no; the only thing that can guarantee window order is the X
server, which is why the server has a protocol for screesavers. More so,
you might want to think about what happens when the WM crashes and the
compositor overlay goes away ... (screensavers are not my thing, but I
do happen to know a thing or two about window managers, which is why
don't trust them :-) ).

> Our primary purpose is making a lock that can
> prevent casual people from accessing another person's PC, while still
> keeping the system usable for a single user setup.

OK, I misunderstood; I assumed Gnome aimed to be a desktop that could be
deployed beyond the kiddies laptop. If all we are looking for is to
prevent casual access, then the WM will do just fine for this, of
course. :-)

Tomas