Re: 3.6 Feature: IBus/XKB integration

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 14:56 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 09:37 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > The 4 layouts limit is an artificial limit that causes bug reports and
> > > raised eyebrows, and was one of the bugs that the ibus/xkb integration
> > > was supposed to fix. Missing out on it would be a great
> > > disappointment...
> >
> > But the main point of the exercise is to provide an integrated, well
> > designed user interface for inputting languages with billions of users
> > in total. Are people really reporting bugs because they need more than
> > 4 layouts, or because the UI acts confusing when you try to add more
> > than 4 layouts?
>
> It makes the UI confusing, and makes the whole system look antiquated.

I have a hard time seeing how it makes the whole system look antiquated,
unless you popped up a message containing the bit definitions from
XKB.h. It's an artificial limitation, and artificial limitations make
programmers sad, but...

> That means that the new system needs to work with the existing legacy
> system to remove those limitations, rather than provide a thin layer on
> top of the existing limitations.
>
> I don't see a problem adding a "only the first 4 layouts are available
> to legacy applications" message or something of that ilk.

Isn't that a whole lot more confusing? Plus, do we have time in the 3.6
cycle to do a good job at inventing a replacement for non-legacy apps?
Is that the best use of our resources?

- Owen