Re: How do you hack on the bleeding edge of Gnome?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 00:55, Federico Mena Quintero
<federico gnome org> wrote:

> I wonder how people who hack on "core Gnome" do it on a day to day
> basis.

I used jhbuild every day for a few years when I used to hack on Sugar
and at some point I stopped using jhbuild commands other than 'shell',
resorting to pulling and building each repo by hand. This was because
of the pain of automatic dependency handling.

These days I mostly hack just on clutter, pygobject and g-i (and not
that often any more), so I have cooked my own script that does only
what I used jhbuild for (see attachment).

I would recommend this to application authors that don't need more
than 3 or 4 libraries in their unstable branches. For hacking on the
Shell, I guess something as full-blown as jhbuild is needed.

My most vivid memory of jhbuild is having to help newcomers to build
Sugar in their favourite distro, it was a nightmare.

Regards,

Tomeu