Re: How do you hack on the bleeding edge of Gnome?

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 17:55 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> I've been having a terrible time trying to get something tested on top
> of Gnome 3.4, all because I can't get 3.4 built from jhbuild.  I'm too
> old to build from tarballs, and my distro doesn't carry 3.4 yet.
>
> I wonder how people who hack on "core Gnome" do it on a day to day
> basis.
> [...]
> I don't want to blame jhbuild; this is a larger problem with how we have
> structured the development of Gnome.  I'm happy that (e.g.) Colin
> Walters is working on ostree
> ( http://git.gnome.org/browse/ostree/tree/README.md ), but while it
> seems like a truly fantastic way to install prebuilt binaries without
> disrupting your system, it doesn't solve the problem of building those
> binaries in the first place - correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> So this mail is about:  how do *you* hack on Gnome on an everyday basis?
> Do people get their source trees built only up to the modules they hack
> on, and ignore the rest (been there, done that)?  Do people wait until a
> distro carries packages for development versions (too late in the game;
> been there, done that)?  How would *you* make Gnome score higher on the
> Joel Test?

IMVHO, the trick is to avoid to build the whole pre-defined module sets.
Those are too big these days and probably you will not depend on all of
them. This means using skip.extend extensively in your .jhbuildrc[1] or
create(customize) your own module set file.

[1] http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2010/09/23/My-love-for-jhbuild

If you want to try Gnome Shell, then follow the instructions in
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#Building.  There is a script pointed
there to check the system packages you will need, if jhbuild
sysdeps/sanitycheck is not enough.

Because of time restrictions, I usually try just specific applications
and I use a different module set or jhbuildrc for each one.  For
instance, I do not try to build programs that touch the system
(NetworkManager) or I am not interested (Mozilla) or breaks the build
system regularly (I think everybody has a pet here :-).

--
Germán Póo-Caamaño
http://people.gnome.org/~gpoo/