Re: Module Proposal: Zeitgeist

Le mardi 17 avril 2012 à 22:47 +0200, Seif Lotfy a écrit :
> Purpose:
> Zeitgeist is an event logging framework. It stores user activity in a
> structured manner and provides a powerful DBus API to query and
> monitor the log. Zeitgeist as such does not have a graphical
> component, but is intended to integrate wherever it makes sense. Just
> like Tracker, Folks and GStreamer, Zeitgeist does not provide a UI.
> And is not a going to be used by the user directly, but rather would
> allow developers to harnest the feature it provides and make something
> useful out of it in their UX.
>
> Preamble:
> It has been 3 years and 8 month since Zeitgeist started under the
> GNOME umbrella. We proposed Zeitgeist for inclusion in 2010 but we got
> rejected due to several reasons including but not limited to:
>       * Not enough integration with GNOME applications
>       * Project hosting difficulties
You didn't say anything about the places integration to the core
desktop, i.e. the Shell and the Documents app. I think this is the key
point. What's the status of the experimental Finding and Reminding view
that was based on Zeitgeist[1] and of the Shell extension[2]? Have you
discussed with designers about that recently?

I'm all for adding Zeitgeist as a dependency, but the essential question
is (and has been since the beginning) how to make the best use of it in
the core desktop. IMHO that's where you can break the chicken-and-egg
vicious cycle.

My two cents

1:
http://people.gnome.org/~federico/news-2011-02.html#zeitgeist-in-gnome-shell