Re: From here to apps

On 2011-09-26 14:56, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) <zeeshanak gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Frederic Peters <fpeters gnome org> wrote:
Speaking of Vinagre, it even has "Implement some of the ideas from
GNOME desktop sharing/virtualisation design mockups" on its roadmap
for 3.4 (see <https://live.gnome.org/Vinagre/RoadMap>).

To clarify, the parts of the Boxes design that I am most interested in implementing in Vinagre are the recent connections browser. The current behaviour involves a dialog, and makes it awkward to use Avahi to find remote desktops on the local network. The Boxes design makes this a lot more friendly. Of course, this is only in the roadmap for 3.4, it may not get implemented.

 I assume you are referring to Boxes here[1]. If you look at the
tentative designs, the UI is significantly different from that of
vinagre and virt-manager to justify writing of this UI from
scratch[2]. Apart from the UI, I don't see how much of vinagre code
could be useful to us since AFAIK most of the functionality is
provided by spice-gtk  (Marc-Andre?). Moreover, vinagre doesn't do any
VM management, which is a significant part of Boxes idea. There is a
conflict with virt-manager in that area (as you noticed) but we are
working closely with Daniel P. Berrange on the framework side so that
most (if not all) of this 'conflict' is limited to UI only.

I agree pretty strongly with this. The Vinagre plugins, for example VNC and SSH, are directly tied to many aspects of the UI, and therefore changing it would mean rewriting most of Vinagre from scratch anyway. Also, I do not think that Vinagre will suddenly grow the ability to be a generic virtual machine application. It handles the remote desktop client use case pretty well, and some of that overlaps with Boxes, which I do not see as a problem for the moment.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
FSF member#5124

[1] https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Boxes
[2] Since many components of UI are common with Documents, I intend to
re-use/steal code from there.

--
http://amigadave.com/