Re: Using Bugzilla for freeze break requests?

On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 22:44 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Heya,
>
> After having to send in another code freeze break request e-mail, I
> realised that the process is problematic. Apart from the release team
> and the patch sender, nobody else knows about the freeze break request,
> or about the status of the request.

Who else needs to know about it? For UI and string freeze breaks, you
have to notify the docs resp. i18n teams. The people who are interested
in these sorts of things are subscribed to the mailing lists where they
can find out about them.

> I think that, at the very least for GNOME 3.4 onwards, we should switch
> to using a keyword in bugzilla, and the release-team, docs team and i18n
> teams can monitor newly request breaks, through RSS feeds (the design
> team does that), and get the keywords cleared when the freeze break has
> a result.

If I don't get email notifications, I can pretty much guarantee I won't
deal with it promptly. I don't think you can subscribe to keywords in
Bugzilla to get emails when bugs are tagged.

I understand we'd get better tracking, but using Bugzilla is a lot more
work than sending an email. I gave a docs ack for one UI freeze break
request while on vacation from my phone. Using Bugzilla on a phone is
unpleasant.

Bugzilla is great for making sure stuff doesn't get lost. Do we have
a real problem of requests getting lost?

--
Shaun