Re: Switch of GNOME tarball compression format: tar.xz only

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 03:47:33PM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le dimanche 11 septembre 2011, à 13:41 +0200, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > If you have concerns, I'd like to hear about it. I've set the reply-to
> > to desktop-devel-list and distributor-list.
>
> With a few other (non-gnome) tarballs switching to xz-only, one thing I
> realized is that python doesn't support that yet:
>  http://bugs.python.org/issue6715
>
> It means that, for my downstream activities, I'll have to update some
> scripts to work around this missing feature in python.

Right, I have code to handle that in the ftpadmin script in the
sysadmin-bin module. It makes xz handling pretty much transparent.

Still looking for a stronger "No!!!" though as I was already aware of
this, but don't consider it a blocker.
--
Regards,
Olav