Features-oriented releases

As I was contemplating redacting a feature proposal, some thoughts
regarding the current process came to mind.

I am not much a huge contributor and half-drunk now but here are my 2 cents...

The adopted feature-oriented release plan is a recognition of the real
value created by any software: helping user realize her tasks with
useful mechanisms.

In a way we have adopted a part of the Agile manifesto by focusing on
user value instead of other metrics (LOC, fixed bugzilla
entries..whatever).It is good for both users and the developers. The
former receive more features in a predictable manner, while the latter
have clear functional goals to reach. Code improvement/addition is
only justified by the feature, can encompass several modules and have
functional tests to pass.
Life is good...
But could be better.
Indeed, I couldn't find any resource on what a Gnome Feature is.Is it
a feature that integrates many modules ? Is is a radical addition to
one of the application modules ? Should application maintainer
advocate each new features of its baby as a Gnome feature. Some light
might be shed there.
Moreover, the current features proposal lack IMHO some data that would
streamline the process of feature review.

First and foremost, none of the current proposals include a clear
Definition Of Done (DoD): its contract in the form of functional test
cases (scenarios). The release team could use those to validate a
feature inclusion or its delay to the next release.
Also, features proposal are currently scheduled for the next release
only. This forbid proposals that envision a longer development time.
Proposals could be posted without any planned release time, then
prioritized/evaluated by both the release team and the  author to
conclude in a target release.
Finally, current process do not enforce intermediate feature releases.
They are often dropped in the end of cycle, without much testing and
validation. Some intermediate milestones could be requested from the
features implementors.
In summary, we could adopt some agile (mostly Scrum here) practices
for the global planning. Features being use cases and their list a
kinda backlog.
The release team would have a clearer view on its priorities and the
state of each feature, IMHO.What do you guys think ?
Voila,
Happy Coding,Alexandre