Re: GNOME Online Accounts extensibility

On 10/10/11 10:39, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On jue, 2011-10-06 at 14:30 -0400, Ken VanDine wrote:
Sorry, not trying to sound harsh here but I couldn't find a better way
to say this.

Basically you are saying that GOA isn't really an open technology to
help consolidate user's online accounts, it is only to help consolidate
accounts for blessed GNOME apps?  This doesn't really help users in the
big picture, but I guess the design team makes those decisions.

GOA already has support for Twitter and Facebook accounts, they are just
disabled in the build by default because of the legal issues David
mentions.

In fact, I asked about enabling them by default recently, and David
explained the distributing-the-keys problem, which needs to be solved.
So, there's nothing to do with designers, it's just a legal issue.

Out of curiosity, what keys does gwibber use? does it distribute them?

Disclaimer: I am not savy to all the details here.

With Ubuntu's approach in their last distribution to FaceBook/Twitter (i.e. asking the user to accept the terms themselves during set up), isn't that accepting the "key" here? Or is this some sort of SDK key?

--
Regards,
Martyn

Founder and CEO of Lanedo GmbH.