Re: systemd as external dependency

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:50:45PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> I think I can say that I speak for the whole BSD community, GNOME users
> and non-GNOME users, when I say that such steps as enforcing Linux-only
> dependencies even more is a clear sign GNOME does not care about portability
> to any OS other than Linux...and that this is very sad sign to everyone else.

Portability is nice, but how many OpenBSD developers are there working
on GNOME for a significant amount of time? How many OpenBSD developers
work upstream (so not just porting after the fact)? How many maintain a
GNOME module?

This as I don't notice anyone non-Linux developers usually on
desktop-devel-list. Only some complaints after a new GNOME is released
and it doesn't work right away on e.g. FreeBSD.
To me, it seems like we do not have any non-Linux developers at all. So
as a result, non-Linux gets less effort. It seems a pretty logical
result to me. Then obviously you'll get a thread asking to depend more
on just Linux. It is still being *asked*; result is this discussion and
eventually release-team will decide.

I do wonder what portability gets us (benefits+drawbacks). I can think
of extra users, and perhaps better abstractions, but what more?

Above doesn't reflect any opinion on what I think GNOME should do btw. I
have not made up my mind at all. I'm just wondering out loud and being
critical.
--
Regards,
Olav