Re: New module proposal: LightDM

Matthew:

I'd expect that a prerequisite for adoption would be functional
equivalence. If the greeter is to be maintained by some third party
rather than yourself, how is the maintenance overhead reduced over using
gdm?

When GDM was rewritten, functional equivalence and configuration
interface stability were not considered particularly important.  For
example, the new GDM has several serious regressions compared to GDM
2.20:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2008-June/msg00070.html

There may be good reasons to not include LightDM as a GNOME module, but
we should be fair about the requirements we impose.

Brian