Re: New module proposal: LightDM

Hello,

> Why replace GDM?

What user-facing problem does this solve?

In general, GDM code is ugly not because of what it does, but to
prevent a wide range of security attacks that are attempted against
login managers.

Writing a login manager is not difficult, hardening one is.

May I suggest that before this is considered, a security team performs
an audit of all the security exploits that have been attempted against
GDM, XDM and KDM and ensure that none of those can be exploited with
the current code base.

Additionally, we should compare the bug list from GDM and make sure
that features that were implemented are not dropped, and that bugs
that were fixed continued to be fixed here.   This just be just to
prevent another case of CADT [1].

Miguel

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html