Re: Plugins, modules and extensions

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
Il giorno lun, 09/05/2011 alle 19.44 +0530, Vamsi Krishna Brahmajosyula
ha scritto:
> I am sorry for the late proposal, but I feel its important to put
> forward my views on extension management.
>

> This is regarding the extension system.  A 'main' method to be called
> when the extension is loaded is a simple way to inject
> code to the existing shell. What about un-doing certain changes with
> out having to reload the shell? If the developer of the extension
> knows say ,how to add a button to the panel. He/she
> will definitely know how to revert it back.
>

> What I am proposing is to add an additional method say "unload" in the
> structure of extension.js (optional only). If the method is
> found, the extension is eligible to unload dynamically with out "Alt
> +f2 < "r"" . The extensions listed in looking glass can now have
> additional method of load/unload based on whether the extension comes
> with one. I am not sure if this is planned already.

This is not a platform-wide feature, it affects just one module. And
since it is definitely worth-while, file a bug and someone (which could
be me) will work on it.

Ok, I will file a bug on that. I would like to work on that as well.
Will try to get patches on looking glass ( ability to enable/disable an extension) and extensionSystem(to identify and call the unload method when required) .

thanks