Re: empathy integration with the desktop

On 30/03/11 00:07, Danielle Madeley wrote:
It's very important here to distinguish between Telepathy as a service
and Empathy which is providing the views of that service.

The end user doesn't care.

In the end, as a user, I would expect my status to be the same as I left it when logging in again. If I was busy, I am busy again and automatically signed in with that state. If don't want to be online (due to a weekend or some other reason), I can set my status to unavailable (either on Friday night before turning off my machine or Saturday morning should I turn it on again). In the case where people really don't want to be automatically online each time they start up their computer, they can opt for being unavailable initially.

In any case, having to run a process, which presents a list of contacts (which is not really too useful most of the time), really is an extra step I would like to avoid.

I am aware that people (even in our company) have different concepts of IM and how their state should be presented to the world, so this is something that needs to be configurable.