Re: Moduleset Reorganization -- Take two

On 03/15/2011 05:19 PM, Petr Kovar wrote:
"Jason D. Clinton"<me jasonclinton com>, Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:28:08 -0500:

(...)
Beginning in the next few days the Marketing Team will select applications to
feature for the 3.0 release. The criteria will be the following:

1. Quality
2. Solving a popular problem
3. GNOME-iness
4. Bonus points for cross-platform-iness
For me, a quality GNOME application means that its development process is
predictable, scheduled to same degree, and providing translators and/or
documentation writers necessary time period of string freeze.

Furthermore, GNOME-iness to me means that an application developer is open
to the idea of collaborating with the GNOME Translation Project, whether
it's our community effort to have unified l10n workflow as far as GNOME
applications are concerned, possibility to foster translation consistency
among GNOME applications, or at least to have a communicative and responsive
application maintainer who doesn't regard translators to be second class
citizens in the application development processes.

So if you are prepared to give bonus points for cross-platform-iness
(nothing against that), why not consider giving bonus points for something
that has been one of the principal goals of the GNOME Project for quite
some time, that is i18n/l10n?
Yet there are other important GNOME aims like a11y, but perhaps that is
already included in that "Quality" part?
Very good point!
Bringing accessibility to computing regardless of physical or mental abilities or language is a critical part of our mission and it's a standard that we should expect from our applications. These matters should weight in heavily when selecting the apps we promote on the website the coming months.
Thanks, may I suggest that gnome-i18n members (or a person delegated by
them) could take part in the decission process then? That would possibly
make the situation clearer, more transparent to the GNOME translation
community, and, needless to say, for the benefit of the GNOME international
end-users.
Sure, sounds like a very good idea!
- Andreas