Re: Epiphany now Linux-only (was: [epiphany] Require NetworkManager)

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse
<jasper humppa nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite worried about this change...
> You are aware you have just made Epiphany a Linux-only webbrowser?
>
> There is no NM support for any of the BSD nor Solaris. FreeBSD has a Google
> SoC project, but that's it. Isn't there a possibility to keep NM as an
> optional dependency? Albeit a strongly suggested one?

Since other GNOME core modules already have hard dependencies on NM
(the shell and the control center at least, I'm told) this is not
particularly a new thing. Of course we could just make it optional on
the basis that some people might be interested in using Epiphany
outside of GNOME, but our future roadmap has more and non-trivial
integration with the GNOME UX in it, not less, so at some point this
will really make no sense.

The best solution, if any, is to solve this at the NM level to allow
others to use GNOME if they are interested, I'd say.

Xan