Re: goobox 2.90.1

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 09:56 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> Why? Goobox certainly isn't the type of application we would want using
> a dark theme. It's not presenting video, or images, so it shouldn't be
> using the dark theme variant.

Do we have a rationale for using dark themes for multimedia apps?

I can think of several reasons to use them, with various degrees of
badness:

- Adobe Lightroom and Final Cut Pro use a dark theme, and we are doing
cargo-cult themes - if we use a dark theme, our apps will be as good as
theirs.

- Dark themes are really intended to be "neutral gray", which all
photographers who ever used film know to be around 18% gray.  Who knows
if our RGB value is actually that, and at what gamma value.

- Graphic design / photography / video people who look closely at pixels
all day long really hate the glare caused by light-colored themes,
windows without thick curtains, and wristwatches with too much
fluorescent compound on the numbers.

- Dark means professional and expensive.  The white iPhone causes deep
distress and attraction, though.

You can consider this a flame or not, depending on the gamma value you
choose :)

  Federico