Re: Question about GNOME 3.0 bindings plans

2011/1/21 Sandy Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong gmail com>
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 09:46 -0800, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
>> >
>> > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/AddGObjectIntrospectionSupport has a
>> > list, not necessarily up-to-date.

>> > The new, yet-to-release developer.gnome.org will focus on C, C++,
>> > Python, _javascript_, and Vala.
>>
>> Is C# not a focus of the site because the bindings are behind, because
>> of lack of volunteers to help, or for some other reason?
>
> Actually, I think we're somewhat confusingly conflating the focus
> of developer.gnome.org with what we initially focused on for the
> developer demo tutorials.
>
> We talked about languages at the developer documentation hackfest.
> We weren't trying to exclude any. We just needed to set priorities.
> We decided not to focus on C# and Mono only because it seems to
> already have a healthy developer community of its own.
>
> If any C# developers want to port any of the demos, or write new
> demos, I'm not going to turn down contributions. Same for Java and
> any other language for which we have reasonably up-to-date bindings.
>
> There is the slight issue of tools. We've been writing tutorials
> assuming you use Anjuta, because using an IDE is a more attractive
> entry point for new developers. I don't think the Anjuta developers
> even try to target C# or Java, because there's no point competing
> with MonoDevelop and Eclipse. So for specific languages, we should
> probably just have the tutorials use other IDEs.

That all makes sense to me, thanks!  Maybe once the Mono binding guys
get their next gen stuff released, some folks in that community will
want to contribute a bit to developer.gnome.org. :-)

Hopefully we will have something to show after the post FOSDEM 2011 hackfest targeting GObject-Introspection for .NET.

http://live.gnome.org/GNOME%2BMonoHackfest2010

Interested parties are most welcome.

- David