Re: Minimum system requirements for GNOME Shell

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 11:33:12AM +0000, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> > > incorrect: GL passthrough in QEMU allows to run the MeeGo netbook user
> > > experience, which is based on Mutter and Clutter, exactly like
> > > gnome-shell:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_SDK_with_QEMU#Setup_QEMU-based_MeeGo_Emulator
> >
> > Given how GLX is designed (in short: giant root security hole), that
> > basically means giving root access on the host to any user on the guest.
>
> and, as I said in the rest of my email, virtualization is only
> interesting for testing/evaluation and development purposes.

Which affects live CDs and images people use to evaluate GNOME 3. Not
being able to preview GNOME 3 in a VM might possibly hinder adoption a
lot. I've also seen lots of people running virtualized GNOME desktops as
VMs under Windows in production.
Cheers,
 -- Guido