Re: My thoughts on fallback mode

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 04:56:32 you wrote:
> On 01/03/11 19:33, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > ... above you said GNOME is about freedom, so now you differ between
> > *this* and *that* freedom, that's not a very straight-line king to
> > argue, if you ask me.
>
> You're talking about your denied freedom for you as a user to enslave the
> GNOME developers, aren't you?
>
> behdad

No, about that no user can see the reason why you are taking *their* freedom
(or in your words: you first took our freedom, period). GNOME was always
modular, so there's no point in demodularizing it, just because you want the
user to be forced to use something.

Also some said having the user exchanging components hardens the
maintainership of the whole thing. Well, that doesn't make sense, as the
exchanged components is maintainted by *it's* developers and therefore one
component less by *you*.

Of course it's your decision what GNOME3 will or won't be, but let me ask you
(indirectly I already did, but no one seemed to recognize that): Is it really
desired to scare users of? According to your responses: it is.

Besides... did modularity ever enslave a GNOME developer? Never. I expected
more than a statement like that.

Chris