Re: Git: Do not use http to access Git!

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Nicolas Trangez <eikke eikke com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 23:25 +1100, Danielle Madeley wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 10:48 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
>>
>> > Some people have been using the cgit interface to checkout a lot of git
>> > modules. This cause a very high load on our server. Please use the git
>> > protocol instead. For now I've blocked git from accessing cgit as too
>> > many people have been using the http interface and it negatively impacts
>> > performance (very high loads over long periods).
>>
>> Is it possible these people are on ridiculous corporate networks that
>> only permit HTTP traffic (via a proxy) and allow no other outgoing
>> connections beyond their network?
>>
>> I have been on one of these before, http was the only way I could
>> checkout sources (from Subversion at the time).
>>
>> If this is the case, git being awesome as it is, perhaps someone could
>> set up a remote that offers http cloning that updates once a day or so.
>> This would let people clone a repo, and still submit their work via
>> format-patch etc.
>
> If this load issue concerns initial 'git clone' calls over HTTP, and not
> further updates ('git fetch'), a solution might be to create baseline
> tarballs (e.g. weekly) containing a packed HTTP clone, and put these
> available for download. HTTP users can download and unpack these, then
> use the repository as usual. This should reduce load on the server, as
> well as reduce the time a developer needs to get his repository clone up
> and running.
>
> This method was/is used by several other projects using
> CVS/SVN/Monotone/...

This would be amazing to have. It has been mentioned before.
I understand though it might be difficult to set it up and get it working.

It would also benefit those without reliable Internet connections.
When you 'git clone' and the Internet connection drops, you need to
start over.

Some could also use a download manager in order to get those tarballs
of repositories.

With these 'baseline tarballs', tools like jhbuild could grab the
tarballs of the repositories through HTTP, then 'git pull --rebase' to
get them in sync.

Simos