Re: GNOME user survey 2011

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
> 2011/8/1 Felipe Contreras <felipe contreras gmail com>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Christophe Fergeau <teuf gnome org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > It seems you are starting under the assumption that the results of the
>> > survey will be representative of G3 users as a whole.
>>
>> My assumption is that some numbers are better than no numbers.
>
> Actually, in statistics, some number is not better than the lack of it.

[citation needed]

>From my understanding, no number has a statistical power of 0, any
number will have statistical power greater than that.

> Specially if you take any actions based upon them.

What actions you take depend on the statistical power, which depends
on the sample size, which we don't know yet. Plus, it's not like you
are letting the survey decide, but at least you let it influence your
futures actions; there's a discussion, and the developers are split
50/50, but the survey shows a clear tendency towards one side. In this
case, it helps to have these numbers.

--
Felipe Contreras