Re: Musings on the contacts user experience

Le vendredi 29 avril 2011 à 09:30 -0500, Jonathon Jongsma a écrit :
> On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 16:13 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > My main fears in a setup like this is:
> >
> > * Conceptually a "chat" app needs to be running all the time when you're
> > online (as you might get a message), but generally you don't want to see
> > it all the time. With us not having a "good" solution to minimize, and
> > not liking minimize-to-systray-icon we don't have a good way to
> > represent this "running in background" state. The one way to fit this
> > into the shell design is to just put the IM window on some other
> > desktop, but I think that might still be a bit too visible.
>

> This is not really true.  You can be online without having a chat
> application (e.g. empathy) running.  The connection managers will run in
> the background with no UI.  When a new chat message comes in,
> mission-control will dispatch it to the correct application (starting
> that application if necessary).  You just need something to tell
> mission-control to go online (or away, or whatever other status you
> want).  Right now this is handled by the empathy application, but it
> could easily be something that is built into the shell.  In this setup
> you have no issue with conceptual minimize issues.

Actually that's already what's happening in GNOME 3.0: the Telepathy
chat handler has been removed from empathy's main process and now lives
in empathy-chat. This process is started automatically when we start a
new chat or receive a new message and stops when there is no more chats
to handle (user closes all the chat window + some timer).

	G.