Re: 3.2: gjs/seed

> String handling and containers are sort of limited lowlevel things
> though. I don't think anyone has a problem with using the language
> native versions of these. Especially since the gnome platform story on
> these are quite weak.
>
> However, a platform like pyton is much richer. It contains many things
> that directly conflicts with our platform. Config APIs (gsettings), http
> support (soup), file handling and streams (gio), ssl support
> (glib-networking), etc. Isn't there even talk about a native python
> widget toolkit?

I don't think that is fair. I'm happy that I was able to do all these
things using the python standard library while waiting for the GNOME
libraries to catch up. Now that we have gio,gsettings,soup,json etc (and
g-i support) I will use them instead.

Almost every language lets you shoot yourself in the foot in a myriad of
ways but if the argument is that pythons failing - 'you might mistakenly
choose to use non/incompatible GNOME libraries' is bad, then I think
that is a weak argument.

Regards,

John