Re: GTK3 parallel installable apps

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Stef Walter <stefw gnome org> wrote:

>  a) Any version of the library compiled against GTK 2.0 can be installed
>    in parallel with the one built for GTK 3.0.
>
>  b) The same version of the library compiled against GTK 2.0 can be
>    installed in parallel with the one built for GTK 3.0.

The first question is - how many users of your GTK2-based library are
there?  Can you get away with having all your users port to GTK3?  If
so, just keep a maintenance branch around that ideally you never
touch.

But in general I'd say go for a).  Basically the target audience here
is OS vendors, and they typically will have separate packages with
different source snapshots (typically from the partly-binary
"tarballs" that are still the primary artifact).  It's more painful
for them to build twice from the same source tree.

So while b) may seem more convenient, I think it's not worth the extra
pain of simply forking entirely.