Re: How to Access XMPP-Based Media Server

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 13:56 +0100, Jon Kristensen wrote:

> Now, I would like to make some kind of "binding" so that GNOME and other
> free desktop environments can browse the contents of a Pontarius server
> (so that you can see your and your friends media). Do you have any
> advice on where I should start? We will be using Jingle and the
> Publish-Subscribe XMPP extensions to do this. What is the lowest level
> layer that I can/should work against here?

Hi, the Telepathy framework [1] is probably the best thing to interact
with  IM protocols in a desktop-neutral and interoperable way.

To make integration with the GNOME desktop seamless, the easier way is
then probably to write a GVfs backend based on Telepathy (or the XMPP
library you're going to use); that would allow the kind of integration
in the file manager and GTK+ applications you're trying to achieve.

[1] http://telepathy.freedesktop.org

Regards,

Cosimo