Re: Versioned symbols for 3.0?

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Behdad Esfahbod
> <behdad esfahbod gmail com> wrote:
>>> Good news then.
>> Did you misread what Matthias said maybe?
>
> I assumed it was because of the possible ABI break so I pointed that
> was not the case.
>
> As for not wanting to use versioned symbols, could you provide more
> information why such a decision was made?

Patryk,
   It looks to me like your script is going to need somebody
to maintain it in the long term (like one of those annoying
extra files you want to shoot the GTK+ build system for, i.e.
gtk.symbols or such).

Do you have a full proposal of how the script's generation
will be automated ?

I'm also not sure I understand from your mail what problem
this patch would address. GTK+ has its own ways of ensuring
ABI/API stability across releases.

Is there anything about versioned symbols that will reduce
the workload of the GTK+ team to ensure binary compatibility
across releases (hopefully without adding yet stricter requirements
to the GTK+ ABI spec) ?

Just some thoughts, ofcourse I also cannot speak for Matthias ;-)

Cheers,
          -Tristan