Re: Re: External Dependency Proposal: libappindicator

Not to criticize your decision, but just to correct a couple of factual
details in your e-mail:

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 12:20 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
> As for the trayicons in the message tray, it is possible that
> tray-side-menu-rendering, as in libappindicator, would be useful for our
> design goals. However, I still think we don't want libappindicator. The
> StatusNotifier protocol that the appindicator work is built on is
> just... designed to solve some problem other than ours. It imposes
> complexity to support features we don't care about, while enforcing
> simplicity in places that would prevent us from implementing things we
> do care about (unless we extended it in non-standard ways, a la dbusmenu).

The dbusmenu portion, along with the icon theme path that was also
required, have been accepted by the KDE team as extensions to the
protocol and are now supported in the KDE version of the Status Notifier
Item spec.  I think that we're fully cross-desktop now with our
implementations.

> And at any rate, since gdbus will be landing soon, if we did want to
> support the StatusNotifier/dbusmenu protocol, we could just add that to
> GtkTrayIcon now.

This round we plan on porting libappindicator to GDBus (in fact I'm very
excited about it) as well.  You're of course welcome to steal the code
(it's open source :) for your implementation of GtkTrayIcon if you'd
like.  I'd be happy to help.

		--Ted