Re: How to make GNOME better for Netbooks?

On 24 Mar 2010, at 17:36, Mystilleef wrote:

> Yes, and mobile devices (smartphones etc) too. I've noticed the user
> interface of applications designed for these devices are highly usable and
> well thought out. I think the physical constraints of these devices forces
> developers to come up with creative user interfaces. Anyway, I think it'll
> be great if some of the great ideas of developing user interfaces on mobile
> devices finds its way into the GNOME HIG.

Well, there does come a point where the design requirements are so different for (say) a desktop application and a touchscreen phone application that you really need two completely different sets of guidelines, as all the other major players in that field can testify.

But with the UI pattern library we're hoping to put together for GNOME 3.x, we should at least be able to keep the patterns for similar tasks on different devices all together in the same place.

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Sun Microsystems Ireland
mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team