libnotify and GNOME 3

libnotify is the only major library that I'm unclear on for GNOME 3.
It's a conditional buildrequire in all my GNOME projects (as libnotify
still uses gtk2.0) and I'm sure we should have a more compelling
vision for notifications in GNOME 3.0. Does libnotify just require
building against gtk3 or do we need a bigger rethink?

I'm wondering if there has been any discussions on notifications or
even any API? Specifically for the shell I guess, but it would be nice
for it to work in a GNOME 2.x fallback environment too.

Thanks,

Richard.