Re: Modulesets Reorganization

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 00:37 +0100, Lucas Rocha wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The release team would like to propose some important changes in the way we
> organize our modulesets. GNOME releases are currently organized into the
> following modulesets: Desktop, Platform, Bindings, Mobile, Admin, and Dev
> Tools. This model has served us well and has actually evolved through time - we
> didn't have the Admin and Dev Tools modulesets initially. However, we feel that
> this organization is reaching its limits, and we have explored several
> potential changes.

1) Do you have a list of what the release team would like
to see in the actual Desktop release? There are obvious
ins and outs, but there's a lot of gray area.

2) Will the Applications be something official that you
have to nominate modules for and follow certain rules
like our release procedures? A big part of what makes
applications in the desktop so great is that they work
with our translation, documentation, and other teams
within our schedule.

3) How strongly will we recommend various applications
to our distributors?

Please understand that this has a HUGE impact on how we
design and write the GNOME 3 help. We want to be able to
point to e.g. gucharmap in a topic on entering special
characters. Mallard gives us the flexibility to do this
even with disparate module sets, but the more ifs and
maybes we have to deal with, the harder it is to plan.

Thanks,
Shaun