Re: gnome-spidermonkey?

2010/12/10 Colin Walters <walters verbum org>:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Frederic Crozat <fred crozat net> wrote:
>
>> Except almost nobody ship spidermonkey that way (I used to package it
>> separately years ago in Mandrake) but it didn't last long and there
>> was very few (ie one or two) using it and no maintenance on it by
>> upstream.
>
> Actually we're discussing this upstream again very productively;
> there's renewed interest in supporting embedders, and I'm in the
> process of getting some patches in to help here.

Excellent (but it would also require regular releases and in the best
of worlds, firefox could be built against it..)

>> Using xulrunner as a "basis", providing libmozjs.so isn't sufficient ?
>
> No, because it couples gnome-shell to tightly to firefox basically.

If you don't want to decouple it from xulrunner package, you could
also use static linking (I'm not a fan of it). And no relying on
xulrunner / firefox would be being vulnerable to JS vulnerability and
not getting regular bugfixes (unless upstream do regular releases).

Other possibility (I don't know if it can be done, I'm just guessing)
: use firefox source tarball and package its spidermonkey as a
separate package (just like xulrunner is done ATM, since upstream
doesn't do regular releases :( But it would mean again code
duplication on the distro side..

--
Frederic Crozat