bugzilla & hooks for processing attachments

hi,

I wonder it our new shiny bugzilla would allow one to write an extension
that can do something on attachments. Bugzilla shows the min-type for
uploaded files, but I'd like to see more info about the files.
Especially for projects like totem/rythmbox/gstreamer it would be nice
to see the output of e.g. the file command instead
$ file test.avi
test.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 640 x 352, 25.00 fps, video:
DivX 3 Low-Motion, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

That would just be a start. But once such a extension exists, it could
easily be expanded to
* store files somewhere so that projects can rsync that to their
regression testing suites
* calculate md5 sums and add a comment if there are other bugs that have
the same attachment

I am sure there are more ideas. So if someone could let me know if
bugzilla has hooks and maybe have some pointer on how to get started, I
could give that a try (yeah, I know its written in perl, no worries).

Stefan