Re: Bump minimum version of poppler to 0.12.0

El jue, 10-09-2009 a las 16:56 -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva escribió:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 11:06 +0200, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:
> > Poppler 0.12 is the new stable release. Although it doesn't add any new
> > API and evince builds with earlier versions, I suggest to bump the
> > minimum version because this release includes a lot of important
> > rendering and performance improvements, specially in the cairo backend:
> > blend modes, linear/radial patterns, tiling patterns performance, ...
>
> I don't see much point in requiring a newer version for performance
> reasons.

well, it's not only because of performance reasons, I also said there
are important rendering issues fixed in this release. Performance issues
are usually not so important when the improvement has a low impact, but
in this case we are talking about several minutes to render just one
page to less than a second (see bug in [1]).

>  This doesn't really help people who are usually tracking newer
> versions, and causes trouble to people who are trying to backport newer
> versions of specific applications to older distributions.
>
> You can always add comments to README or whatever suggesting an upgrade,
> though =)

This usually doesn't work, often distros don't package new versions
until they are required by any other package. When that happens, users
of such distros don't test the new version and report the same bugs that
were already fixed.

--
Carlos Garcia Campos
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x523E6462