Re: Module proposal: dconf [migration from gconf]

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:17 PM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

> For applications that need to do weird conversions where we can't extend
> the tool to do this in a generic fashion we could just ship a special
> tool with the application that links to gconf so that the normal app
> doesn't have to link to gconf.

Surely that still creates an implicit dependancy on gconf though that
we can't get rid of.

If the (hypothetical) gconf-migration-tool links to gconf and is run
by every gnome3 package on install
this means that every gnome3 package is going to depend on g-m-t,
which is going to depend on gconf
meaning that we still need to ship gconf (and orbit, and bonobo and
bonobo-activation-thingy)
so that people can build this g-m-t.

Would it not be better for gconf-migration-tool to be able to parse
the gconf database without requiring gconf?
That way someone would be able in the future to remove gconf, orbit
etc and know that nothing will break.

iain