Re: Advice requested on deprecating AT-SPI/CORBA

Alberto Ruiz wrote:
2009/10/21 Willie Walker <William Walker sun com>:
Due to others hardcoding the string "atk-bridge" in their code (e.g.,
Firefox and OOo), the GTK+ a11y module has to be named "atk-bridge".  We
could ask Firefox and OOo to not hardcode the name, but we'd end up in a
versioning hell with external apps not tied to the GNOME release
schedule.
 So, I'd like to make the simplifying assumption that they will not
change
and we need to deal with "atk-bridge".
Can we force them to not hardcode it and yet preserve atk-bridge so
that we can change it in the future if needed? a pkg-config variable
would solve this I'd say.
We can certainly ask them to change.  The problem is that the Firefox and
OOo release schedules are completely de-coupled from GNOME's.  As a result,
by requiring them to change for AT-SPI/D-Bus to succeed, we have introduced
another dependency that is another point of failure and delay.

What about keeping in mind to ask them until we've got rid of the
CORBA world? It kind of would be unfortunate to stumble into a similar
issue in the future if we needed to change the module name for some
reason :-)

You bet - I can file some bugs with FF and OOo (and gdm if it also still hardcodes the string). In the meantime, I think we need to stick with the simplifying assumption that they will not change prior to the GNOME 2.30 release, so we need to work with that constraint.

Will