Re: Module proposal: dconf

2009/10/16 Josselin Mouette <joss debian org>
Therefore a possible, sane transition plan looks like the following.
    1. A new, source-compatible (if possible binary-compatible, but
       that’s less critical) GConf library is written on top of
       GSettings. All applications using GConf start using it
       together.
    2. A migration tool is written to convert GConf data to dconf
       data.
    3. This tool is used by distributors to make GConf schemas and
       system defaults available to dconf. (How it is done completely
       depends on the distribution.)
    4. The tool is launched once by gnome-session.
    5. An interface is provided so that an application can be ported
       from GConf to GSettings while still seeing the old data. To
       achieve that, either the data is not moved at all, or the API
       can specify an “old” location in GConf format as well as a “new”
       location in GSettings format.

I like this proposal but, going back to the new module proposal for 2.30, could way say that dconf is in for 2.30 but that the above five points are not implemented until 2.32 to allow for a smooth transition and plenty of testing? That is, dconf and gconf would co-exist for 2.30.x, only.

I don't see any value in trying to rush everything all at once for 2.30. If we can give app. developers plenty of time with dconf available but not mandatory, that would be preferable.