Re: External dependency proposal: Vala

On 12/10/09 16:10, Ryan Lortie wrote:
Hi

Hi,

I'd like to propose Vala as an official external dependency for GNOME
2.30.

Some GNOME modules are already using Vala, but they are placing
generated .c/.h files into version control to avoid the need for other
contributors to have Vala installed.  That's just ugly. :(

Using Vala to compile a program introduces no additional run-time
dependencies (Vala produces straight-up GLib-based C code).

In its typical use, Vala also introduces no additional dependencies for
building tarballs; distributions will have no additional burden placed
on them.  This is because 'make dist' typically includes the
generated .c and .h files into the tarball, making 'valac' only required
for building from git (or, of course, if you change .vala files).

This is therefore a 'special' external dependency: it would only be
required when building from git (or hacking on the code).

It makes sense that we depend on the most recently available version at
this point -- 0.7.7.

We have been using Vala in Tracker for some parts of the code base (where it makes sense) and some of the applications are even written in it too (tracker-preferences, tracker-explorer). Some of the core libraries even use it and have done in master (0.7) for some time now.

The API stability is really the only issue, we have had to upgrade a few times for some of the newer features, but if Jürg is saying that will become stable from 0.8, that satisfies me.

It works quite well for us, so +1 from me.

--
Regards,
Martyn