Re: What does gnome-shell give us?

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Sandy Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
Hey folks,

Taking a step back from the excitement over shiny new things, I was
just wondering if somebody could give a few bullet points that explain
what gnome-shell gives us over our current desktop experience.  I feel
like there's a lot of stuff that's different or missing but I'm not
sure I'm understanding where it's "better".

I see it as twofold:

* A visual refresh, using animations and graphics capabilities to enable new UI that we couldn't do before.

* Fixing some design problems in the old UI, a few prominent ones of which are:
  - Make recent documents much more prominient
  - Search for applications/docs
  - Application based system