Re: on application focus navigation (was: On ctrl-tab)

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> To clear up some of the confusion here, the difference is not how you
> can _enter_ the toolbar, it is how you can leave the widget before it.
> Gedits content pane needs to accept tab as input, thus you are
> required to use Ctrl-tab to leave it.

I hate to be presumptuous, but we're talking about the same thing.  I
know you have to use ctrl-tab to leave a text-pane, and I'm okay with
that.

And I am indeed talking about -leaving- the toolbar, not entering it.

Use ctrl-tab repeatedly in Gedit.  You can exit the text entry, you
can enter the toolbar.  You can move through any toolbar button.  But
when you reach the last one, you cannot leave the toolbar with
ctrl-tab.

So, from what you're telling me, I deduce that

1.  The text entry only lets you -enter- it with Tab, not ctrl-tab.
If this is indeed the case, I have many thoughts.

2.  Gedit's toolbar is messed up.

> In rhythmbox, regular tab works
> since it doesn't have to accept tab as input.

But you missed my complaint -- that in Gedit, I can use ctrl-tab to
move between buttons, but in Rhythmbox, I can't.

> Unless you invent a keyboard that has reserved keys for focus
> navigation, there will always be conflicts.

GNOME has one.  It uses ctrl-tab as the focus-nav shortcut to avoid
conflicts.  It should be used more consistently, unlike in Gedit
(can't leave toolbar) and Rhythmbox (can't navigate toolbar).