Re: Forcing button icons (Re: Appearance properties)

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Andre "Osku" Schmidt
<andre osku schmidt osku de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 10:56 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> The reasons behind the move have been documented, and explanations given
>> on how to get the icons back.
>
> i remember there was also a hint about the application now needing to
> "force" an icon on a button. (but cant seem to find the mail)
>
> could someone point me to this/any document/info/example ?
>
> im trying to do a play/pause button in glade3 (gtkbuilder), and i just
> cant get any icons shown in a button any more... (nope, didn't get any
> answer on this at glade mailing list)

Are you sure ? that sounds a little ridiculous.

I would just let this whole desktop icons discussion pass without
comment... but something smells wrong...

Just to be sure.. are you declaring your button as a stock
button with stock ids for the play pause buttons ?

... or are you using a button with GtkImage set explicitly
from Glade ?

If it were the former, I can understand - what GTK+ creates
as a "stock play button" for your application is completely
up to GTK+, if it doesnt come with an icon because of a setting,
that can still be perceived as expectable behaviour.

Please clarify because if it were the latter, it would mean that
the GtkBuilder spec is just invalid for desktops who have this
"no icons" setting enabled.

FWIW, I really dont care so much about this setting default
being changed in the desktop UI without any announcement,
actually I think this is what we have UI freezes for.

But you cant go break the GtkBuilder spec because you disagree
with a said application author about explicitly placing an image
somewhere in their interface, be it in a button, or wherever.

Sigh, anyway please let me know if this is the case, hopefully
I'm jumping to some conclusion here, and GTK+ only hides
icons that GTK+ created in stock buttons, or some expectable
behavior, that can easily be worked around when customizing
your applications look and feel.

Otherwise my god what a mess we have to deal with...

Cheers,
        -Tristan