Re: A different point of vision (was: Appearance capplet)

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Luca Ferretti <elle uca libero it> wrote:

> It was more: "please don't remove those settings from the UI until we
> have a different, proper place to put them". :)

This is just a logical fallacy that says all options are equally
valid, the only thing wrong is where you put them
This has never been the thinking behind the gnome (2) UI and leads to
the abomination that is the "Advanced" tab[1]
and user interface's that become so bloated because you can never
remove any options lest someone somewhere found it a useful option.

No matter what options a user is presented, someone, somewhere will
think one of them is useful.
To use your anecdotal evidence, would your friend have really cared if
when looking through the settings tab they hadn't found the option to
change the toolbar setting?
William's[2] rule of thumb that the options we present are the ones
that we encourage people to change is pretty much spot on

iain

[1] Which even members of KDE are now realising is an abomination.
[2] William Jon's? I never know how to properly address people who use
two names, sorry.